Tuesday, September 6, 2011

T-Minus Five Days and Counting....

It's almost time, folks.  Time for me to complete my 2011 New Year's Resolution.  I feel...okay about this.  I know I can finish the swim, bike, run, but I wish I could finish it faster.  This reasoning is ridiculous, I know, because the question becomes "faster than what?"  I've never completed a Sprint Triathlon before, therefore, whatever time I finish with will be my fastest time...ever.  Sigh.  I've just put a lot of time and effort into this and I want to compete (and look) like those freakishly fit triathlete women that I'm constantly surrounded by.

I AM excited to do this, though.  Training for this short little triathlon has brought my husband and I closer, I think, and increased my understanding of his passion.  While the kiddos were at my parents Sunday and Monday, Patrick took me to Kill Creek (where the race is) to do a practice bike and run together.  It was funny (I wasn't actually laughing at the time, too out of breath) to draft behind him on the bike because he was pedaling so leisurely, as if he was out for a casual neighborhood ride, while I was pedaling my ass off to keep up with his 20mph average. 


The bike route for the race was really pretty.  Lots of horses out doing their thing, big fields of stuff growing wild, cute farm houses, and a creek or two flowing past.  Only three big hills I have to worry about, but now I know when they're coming.  


There's just no chance of me looking cute in a bike helmet.


Next was the run.  The majority of the run is on a trail through Kill Creek Park and around the lake.  Very shady and green.  I was also holding my hubby back on the run, but I ran the three miles faster than I have in a long time (since half marathon training) so his pacing definitely helped me pick it up.  Too bad he can't be my pacer bunny on the day of the race.  


"Yes, as a matter of fact I am (married to) an Ironman."


I didn't feel terrible after this practice bike/run.  Also to take into consideration is the fact that Officer Orrick and I went out after work on Sunday night, ate a huge unhealthy creamy Olive Garden dinner and then played trivia until the wee hours of the morning at a local bar.  So I'm hoping I will perform even better next Saturday sans hangover.

And to top off the nice Labor Day morning spent with my husband, I ended the day with this:
Pink handlebar tape, people.  My bike is complete.  I had been coveting pink handlebars since I started training in January, but my husband pretended like it was a ridiculous idea.  He's good at tricking me like that.  At least if I can't be fast and skinny, I can be color coordinated.

1 comment: