Thursday, June 7, 2012

Best Idea I've ever Had

I have to brag a little. This is seriously genius mothering stuff. It's only taken me seven years to figure this particular trick out.

I've read all the parenting advice about how important it is to give your kids jobs/chores around the house. They learn responsibility, gain pride in their work, feel like an important part of the household day to day stuff. I know, this is nothing new. But did you know, it could make your life....easier?

Really! For the longest time I thought my kids were too young to truly help around the house. Yes, they are required to have a "clean" room if they want to play on the computer/wii/ipad etc. but I was never overwhelmed by their cleaning talent. So I figured if I really got them involved in the weekly cleaning process, I would end up cleaning up after THEM when it was all said and done. Boy, was I wrong!

With a little bit of instruction and very specific small jobs (not "clean the bathroom" more like, "wipe down the sinks"), my two oldest and I got done a weeks worth of house cleaning in ONE morning. Seriously. And it was...fun? I know, that sounds crazy. But they felt accomplished and proud, made some extra cash (fifty cents per job), and I got to focus on the more adult tasks, like emptying the dishwasher and so forth. The baby followed us around with a dust cloth and felt like she was an integral part of the process, too.

So what did we get accomplished? Jackson, the love of my life, did my very least favorite jobs. He vacummed ALL of the stairs in the house (two sets!) and scrubbed. the. toilets. I love him. He also vacummed the basement, helped pick up the baby's room, and dusted the first floor.
Look how he replaced the pictures after dusting! "They're in order by age now, mom."



Macy, my sweet girl, was so diligent. She watered my plants, wiped down the chairs, wiped down the baseboards, and cleaned the bathroom sinks. My favorite was how she arranged the sinks after she wiped them down.
So orderly and symmetrical!


So now, my friends, it's off to the pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment